ZabetReading

Reading Between Classes

A unique perspective on YA Literature from a junior high teacher.

Unbreakable
Kami Garcia
Etiquette & Espionage
Gail Carriger
Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)
Marissa Meyer, Rebecca Soler

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making - Ana Juan, Catherynne M. Valente I chose this novel based solely on the book trailer. I don't normally even bother to watch them, however, this one featured the music of S.J Tucker. If you haven't watched it, you really should. Go on, check YouTube, I'll wait. There. All done? See, it was delightful wasn't it? Now, on with the review. The writing style of the book is charming and reminiscent of Lewis Carroll or Lemony Snicket. Valente is sure to leave any reader smiling and chuckling to themselves. The wonderful language, however, did not lend itself to the plot development. The story is actually a very simple one and I found myself skipping over much of the flowery language in order to reach the next plot point. As the novel wore on, there seemed to be more and more distance between these points. I was also dis-heartened at my utter lack of concern for September. I never felt that she was in any real danger and I did not find her endearing in any way. She was not particularly kind, or clever or gifted. Without a protagonist to worry about, the journey through Fairyland, while colorful and magical, seemed to lack the substance required to make it a truly captivating read.