ZabetReading

Reading Between Classes

A unique perspective on YA Literature from a junior high teacher.

Unbreakable
Kami Garcia
Etiquette & Espionage
Gail Carriger
Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)
Marissa Meyer, Rebecca Soler

The Red Queen: A Novel (The Cousins' War)

The Red Queen - Philippa Gregory The dangerous thing about writing historical fiction is that you are confined by the events that took place during the time period you have chosen. Sure, the author can make choices as to the personal stories of her characters (depending on how well known they were) but they are often forced to describe events that are confusing and often down-right boring for today's reader. During The Cousin's War players are constantly changing sides and it is difficult to keep straight who is with whom. It is also, incredibly pointless and boring. As a modern day reader, I am unable to relate to characters who are willing to wage war and waste lives over who has more royal blood rather than who is better leader for the country. I found it difficult to cheer for any of the characters - they were all despicable. The battles themselves left me bored and I ended up skimming the last 50 pages just to be done with this book. I don't think I will continue with the third book.