ZabetReading

Reading Between Classes

A unique perspective on YA Literature from a junior high teacher.

Unbreakable
Kami Garcia
Etiquette & Espionage
Gail Carriger
Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)
Marissa Meyer, Rebecca Soler

A Certain Slant of Light

A Certain Slant of Light - Laura Whitcomb I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The characters were likeable and the plot was unique enough to keep me guessing. I found myself rooting for the characters while watching horrified as they snatched bodies and borrowed lives. P.S I realized while reading this how terrified I am by over-zealous religious parents. I kept waiting for one of them to burn the symbol of the cross into her flesh, whip her while reciting bible verses or, worst of all, make her watch The Passion of the Christ. This was the one part of the book that didn't quite work for me. Jenny's parents were strict and controlling in a not-so-healthy, your-daughter-is-going-to-grow-up-to-despise-you kinda way. But, I didn't see anything that would make Jenny go all abandoning her body. Billy I get - dad in prison for nearly killing mom while kid watched leading him to a life of drugs and crime. Jenny, on the other hand, jumped ship because her parents took away a camera.4/5 Stars because it was interesting enough for me to use my baby's nap time to finish it (the mom's know how precious this time is).