ZabetReading

Reading Between Classes

A unique perspective on YA Literature from a junior high teacher.

Unbreakable
Kami Garcia
Etiquette & Espionage
Gail Carriger
Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)
Marissa Meyer, Rebecca Soler

The Night Circus

The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern This book kept cropping up in recommendations by goodreads, on websites and from friends who know my reading style. I resisted for several months but finally relented and started the audio book. I am new to audio books and still deciding whether or not I like them. The voice, Jim Dale (whom you might remember as the narrator from Pushing Daisies) was remarkably well matched to the writing style of this book. Though I eventually switched to the ebook (the audio was simply taking too long and I wanted to get into the meat of the story), the voice stayed with me and I believe it enhanced my reading. While listening to the audio, I also found the time jumping very confusing but was much better able to manage once I started reading and could easily flip back to check dates and get things straight in my head. The Night Circus is beautifully written, with characters that will enchant any reader. Though the love story unfolds so slowly one barely sees it happening, I believe this is much more realistic than the "instant and undying love at first sight" that is popular in many novels today. Interesting Notes:- OMG Friedrick's death - this is where I really started to sit up and pay attention, immediately wishing I could stay up all night to finish (though the demands of motherhood preventing me from doing so- Loved the Tree connection (Bailey's tree, the Tree of Wishes, Widget's story, the trees in Marco's books. - I want to be a Reveur!Favorite Quotes- It bothers him most at times like this, in the bottom of the brandy bottle and the quiet of the night.- I am haunted by the ghost of my father, I think that should allow me to quote Hamlet as much as I please- Most maidens are perfectly capable of rescuing themselves in my experience, at least the ones worth something, in any case.